Bournemouth Blind Society
Supporting blind and partially sighted people to lead active and independent lives.
Founded in 1911 Bournemouth Blind Society is the oldest established independent charity in Bournemouth.
What we offer
- We have a well equipped Sight & Hearing Resource Centre with specialist equipment for sight and hearing impaired people. Visitors are encouraged to try out a range of equipment designed to make life easier.
- We have an Assistive Technology Suite, helping people communicate by either voice or magnification on their computer, tablet or mobile phone. All tuition is provided free of charge to any visually impaired person, under the guidance of staff from RNIB in Salisbury. Many of the tutors are volunteers, with computer based backgrounds.
- We offer a varied programme of activities such as arts & crafts, skittles and bingo, alongside social outings and events including garden parties, beach hut days and pub lunches
- We offer a range of Support Services, including Emotional Support, Community Support, Befriending, Guiding and Sight Awareness Training.
- Please visit our website for full details of all our Support Services
Bournemouth Blind Society is a self-funded charity. We are not affiliated with any group or other charity. We receive a small grant from the Local Authority towards the costs of running our Resource Centre and Community Support service, but rely heavily on fundraising initiatives to meet our costs.
- See www.bournemouthblindsociety.uk/events for details of upcoming events
We have a dedicated team of Volunteers at Bournemouth Blind Society who support us in our work by helping out as Activity Assistants, Cafe Assistants, Minibus Drivers, Minibus Escorts, Own Car Drivers, Befrienders, Resource Centre Assistants, Guides and Tandem Pilots. We offer travel expenses and training where required; all we ask in return is a regular commitment.
All Volunteers will work with Vulnerable Adults and must have a Disclosure & Barring Service check carried out. Bournemouth Blind Society will make the necessary arrangements at no cost to the volunteer.
- If you are interested in finding out about joining our friendly team, please telephone 01202 546644 for an informal chat.
The Rooper Memorial Hall is adjacent to our premises in Moordown and has seating capacity for about 80 people, depending on the seating layout.
Rooper Hall is an ideal place for community activities or social events, offering disabled access and a modern kitchen.
The Hall is currently only available for hire at weekends.
- Hire Charges: £20 per hour (minimum rental 2 hours).
- Children’s Birthday parties: £60 for 4 hours.
- A £250 Security Deposit may be required.
If you are interested in Venue Hire, please contact Caroline Simmons on 01202 546644 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The office is open Monday – Friday 9am – 4.30pm
The Resource Centre is open Monday – Friday 10am – 1pm
Bournemouth Blind Society. Charity Number 1114570. Company Number 5792657.
Send Message to listing owner
Bournemouth Blind Society